(NEW YORK) -- A Jack Russell terrier is recovering in New York City after swallowing more than 111 pennies.
The dog, appropriately named Jack, swallowed at least $1.11 in change on Saturday while his owner, Tim Kelleher, wasn’t looking, James Judge, a spokesman for BluePearl Veterinary Partners, told ABC News on Wednesday.
Kelleher took Jack to the BluePearl clinic in Manhattan after Jack became sick and began to vomit some of the pennies. X-rays performed on the 13-year-old dog immediately showed that he had more pennies inside his body so veterinarians performed an endoscopy, using a camera to locate the pennies. It took an internal medicine specialist nearly two hours to remove all of the 111 pennies still left in Jack’s system, removing them four to five at a time.
“Early and safe removal was absolutely imperative to Jack’s health,” Dr. Amy Zalcman, the senior emergency doctor at BluePearl who oversaw Jack’s treatment, said in a statement. “If Jack would not have had the pennies removed, the consequences would have been fatal.”
Owner Kelleher told the New York Daily News his “voracious Tasmanian devil” of a pet was going after a bagel when he got the pennies instead.
“He climbed on my desk to get at the bag with the bagel and knocked the change all over the floor,” said Kelleher, who could not be reached Wednesday by ABC News. “While he was licking up the crumbs, he swallowed the pennies.”
Doctors at BluePearl, a Tampa-based chain of veterinary clinics, said the zinc inside pennies could have caused damage to Jack’s kidneys, liver and red blood cells and blocked his intestines.
His owner says Jack is back to his normal self after the nearly $2,500 procedure, part of which was paid for by Tampa-based Frankie’s Friends, an animal charity.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio